This article provides information about the support services available to students during their stay in halls.

Student Support Managers:

Student Support Managers (SSMs) are responsible for the day-to-day management of welfare and pastoral concerns of residents within all our Halls of Residence. Freshers living in private housing can also access our services at Guildhall Halls.

SSMs provide welfare cover 24 hours a day, seven days a week for every week of your stay. All conversations are completely confidential. The SSMs will not act upon a matter unless you want them to. For more information on Student Support Managers and how to contact them, please see this article.

Residential Assistants:
You can also speak to a Residential Assistant (RA). Residential Assistants are students who have experienced their first-year in halls so they have the knowledge and experience to help.

Residential Assistants have been trained to assist with all types of issues and they will be happy to help you. RAs are not members of staff but fellow students who can always be relied upon to be a friendly port of call. Please ask your Hall reception how to contact your RA.

Halls Student Council (HSC):
The Halls Student Council (HSC) is made up of a group of elected students each year who provide a link between all Halls students and the Student Council working with the Hall's management team. HSC also represent Halls residents at focus groups, raising issues of concern on their behalf.

The Halls Student Council also work together to organise and promote social and sport events and look to purchase equipment that would benefit current and future Halls residents.

INTERESTED IN JOINING THIS TEAM? -Talk to your Residential Assistants (RAs) or Student Support Manager (SSM) to find out more.

University Security Team:
The University employs a team of qualified security guards to help preserve a productive study environment and protect the University buildings and equipment. You will recognise the University Security Team as they wear a uniform and carry ID.

The University Security Team are responsible for:

  • Patrolling Halls to help ensure safety and security of residents, buildings and their contents.
  • Assisting in the maintenance of the study environment, including monitoring noise levels.
  • Assisting residents with problems out of working hours.
  • Putting residents in contact with any support service they may need.
  • Reacting to and dealing with emergency situations such as fire alarms.

Please help the University Security Team by following their requests and instructions. This helps them do their job and makes your Hall a safer and more comfortable place to stay.

Contact the University Security team:
For general assistance, please contact:
T: +44 (0)23 9284 3418 (calling from your mobile phone)

For emergencies, please contact:
T:+44 (0)23 9284 3333 (calling from your mobile phone)

Enter your email address to receive a notification when the article is updated
Email Address

Was this article helpful
Thank you for your feedback
How can we improve?