This article provides information on what to do if you lose your hall keys/ swipe card or if you are locked out of halls. 

University of Portsmouth student halls

If you lose or forget your key/fob, ask at reception for a Hall Porter to allow you access to your room.

Out of Hours

If it is out of hours, contact a Security Officer, details below. They will need to check your Halls ID card before they let you into your room.

Contact Security:+44 (0)23 9284 3418 (calling from your mobile phone)

To be as fair as possible, we provide a door opening service to allow you to settle in and familiarise yourself and adjust to your new home for the first three weeks of the academic year. After this time there will be a charge each time you require access to your room to cover staff time.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your door access fob is in your possession when leaving your flat/bedroom at all time. Lost keys are chargeable.

Unite student halls (Greetham St, James Watson, Trafalgar or Margaret Rule halls)   

If you lose your keys when the Unite office is open, pop down and the team will be able to let you back in.

If the onsite team is not available, call the 24-hour Emergency Control Centre through the call point in your property or by phone on 0300 303 1611. The team will arrange for security to meet you and let you back in to your room. 

For more information on Unite student halls, visit the Unite Out-of-hours page.


Enter your email address to receive a notification when the article is updated
Email Address

Was this article helpful
Thank you for your feedback
How can we improve?