This article contains information for University staff only.
Welcome to Windows 10
This article will introduce you to some of the essential features of Windows 10.
There are also links to articles at the bottom of the page which will answer commonly asked questions and show you how to customise Windows 10.
- If needed power on the PC or laptop.
- The lock screen will appear. Click on the screen to start the sign in process.
- Type in your University username followed by your University password.
- Either press enter on your keyboard or select the arrow on your screen.
- Your desktop will appear.
Changing the Desktop Background
When you first log in there will be a standard desktop background which you may wish to change. There are two methods of changing the background.
- Select an image you have previously saved in your N Drive.
- Open the image by double clicking on the file name.
- Right click on the image and select "Set as background". The background image will now be set.
The second method involves using the Settings menu. For instructions please see the link to the "Customising the Windows 10 Desktop" article below.
Adding a Printer in Windows 10
- To install a network printer select the "Install a Printer" icon on the desktop.
- Select "Add a Printer".
Scroll to locate your printer. Double click on the printer name.
A dialogue box will appear, select "Finish".
Accessing Programs and Applications
- Open the start menu by clicking on Start Menu.
A list of all programs and applications will be displayed, scroll to the desired program, select a program / application to open it.
For more information on the Start Menu please see the "Customising the Start Menu in Windows 10" article below.
Windows 10 has Office 2016 and web browsers pre-installed.
Other University delivered software can be launched via AppsAnywhere.
The AppsAnywhere shortcut will be located on your Windows 10 desktop.
- Double click on the icon to open AppsAnywhere.
- Select "Launch" to open the program.
Electronic Document Management System (EDM)
EDM can only be installed via Software Center.
- Select the Start menu and start typing Software Center.
Select Software Centre shown as a Best Match at the top of the Start Menu.
The Software Centre will open. Double click on Electronic Document Management to install.
Additional programs are also available from the Microsoft "Store" which you can access from the Start Menu.
Accessing the N and K Drives
- To access the N and K drive select the File Explorer Icon from the Task Bar.
Alternatively select the “This PC” icon on the desktop.
The File Explorer dialogue box will open. Select the drive you require from the left-hand menu.