This article provides information on Non-Medical Help (NMH) and how to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA).


ASDAC can offer Non-Medical Help (NMH) including Specialist Study Skills and Assistive Technology Tuition.

Eligible students should apply for the Disabled Students’ Allowance in order to get appropriate funding for this support. More information can be found on the following link:


How do I book NMH support?

If you have DSA funding in place and the University is a named supplier of the recommended support, you can arrange this by clicking on the following link:

If you do not qualify for DSA (e.g. International students); or would like to access this support and need help applying, take the following steps:


Step 1: Arrange to see a Disability Officer (call in person, email or telephone)

Step 2: Discuss learning needs. (Confidential nothing is disclosed without your permission)

Step 3Supply Medical/Diagnostic Evidence (not always necessary and we can advise and support you to obtain it if necessary) 

Step 4: Receive appropriate support


What if NMH support cannot be offered at the time I request it?

There may be occasions where we are unable to provide you with your full calendar of NMH requirements as outlined in the DSA confirmation letter.  If this is the case, then you may wish to consider the following:


  • Meeting with a Disability Officer who can offer alternative support options available to you, including workshops while you wait.

  • You may wish to change NMH provider, and we can assist with this. The meeting can be held in person, by telephone, through email or by Google Hangouts.


Tel: +44(023) 9284 3462



University of Portsmouth,3rd Floor, Nuffield Centre, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO1 2ED



Enter your email address to receive a notification when the article is updated
Email Address

Was this article helpful
Thank you for your feedback
How can we improve?