This page details the acceptable forms of personal identification which students must provide when registering onto their course, why they must provide it and when/where they need to be shown. 

What form of personal identification do I need to produce?

For NEW Home/EU students, one of the following forms of identification must be provided: 
- Valid passport
- Valid EU identity card
- UK Driving License
- UK Birth certificate
- UK HM Forces Identity card and 
- UK Firearms License. 
For NEW and CONTINUING International (i.e. non-EEA) students need to provide both:

- A valid Passport 
- A Visa/Biometric Residency Permit (BRP).

Why do I need to produce personal identification?

This is an annual requirement of course registration and re-registration. Please note that you will not be fully registered onto your course until your have completed the online registration form and your ID has been seen. You will not be issued with a Student Card until you are registered onto your course and have provided us with a valid term time address.

For Home/EU students, where applicable, once these processes have taken place, the University can notify the Student Loans Company that you are registered onto your course and you can expect to receive your student support entitlement within the next three to five working days.

When and where do I show my personal identification?

Your personal identification should be shown at the very start of term. You will advised during your first week’s activities with the time and venue for you to show us your personal identification.

For details of when and where to show your identification, please see the relevant article for you (please note these articles will cover on-campus and off-campus (distance learning) students):

Enter your email address to receive a notification when the article is updated
Email Address

Was this article helpful
Thank you for your feedback
How can we improve?