This article contains information for University staff only.
This article provides instructions on how to grant access to a Shared Mailbox (Delegate Email account). You must be the 'responsible person' and the password holder of the Shared Mailbox in order to grant access.
Please also see this article regarding the guidelines around Shared Mailbox passwords.
Please use Chrome for adding/removing access to Delegate accounts.
1. Visit http:\\mail.port.ac.uk and log in using the Shared mailbox Email address and password.
Please use an InPrivate or Incognito browsing window so that you do not need to log out of your work email account.
2. Once logged into the mailbox, click on the 'cog' icon in the top right hand corner and select 'Settings'.
3. In the 'Settings' screen, click 'Accounts'. The 'Grant access to your account' section is where you can grant and remove access.
Click 'Add another account' to grant access to a member of staff.
Please note you can choose whether conversations are marked as 'read' or left 'unread' when opened by others by using the radial buttons below.
4. In the 'Grant access to your account' window, enter the full Email address of the staff member and click 'Next Step'. Click 'Send email to grant access' on the next screen.
5. Close the 'Granted' window.
An invitation Email will now be sent to the member of staff, they are required to click on the link within to confirm access. These invitations will expire after a week (approximately), if this occurs the owner must revoke and resend the invitation.
6. You will return to the 'Accounts' screen which will show you that the member of staff is 'Pending', this will change to 'Accepted' once the staff member has confirmed your request to grant access.
7. If you wish to remove members access to the mailbox, click 'delete', you will receive a confirmation screen, click 'OK' to confirm.
If you have any queries or problems managing this access, please contact the Service Desk on 02392 847777 or Ext 7777 for assistance.