This article will explain what happens if you fail a unit, and what can be done to resolve the situation.

The University will do all it reasonably can to help you to resolve the situation. Firstly, the Unit Assessment Board (UAB) will state what you must do to recover the failure.

What are my options?

You can look up the various possibilities in the Retrieval of Failure Framework, but they range from re-submitting a piece of work, to repeating the unit in full. Secondly, you are advised to see your Unit Coordinator to get some feedback on why you failed. This will go a long way in helping you to be successful next time round. Lastly, once you have failed a piece of work, or have failed the academic year, make sure you know what work you are required to do to resolve the situation, and by what date this work has to be completed. It should be said that the most common reason for failure is poor engagement with the unit, including attendance (other than for illness or personal circumstances) by the student. The UAB will be aware of any unauthorised illnesses, or evidence of a sufficient lack of engagement with the unit/course,  and will treat such behaviour very seriously.

  • you must repeat the units that you failed
  • you may be excluded from further study and you may not continue.

If this happens to you, then you may seek an interview with the Chair of the Board of Examiners who can advise on the Board’s decisions and who also has the power to review your case. In all cases, you are encouraged to see your personal tutor or course leader.

You can also seek the advice of the Sabbatical Officers or Student Adviser in the Students’ Union here or speak to the University’s Wellbeing service. 


Enter your email address to receive a notification when the article is updated
Email Address

Was this article helpful
Thank you for your feedback
How can we improve?