This article will outline what happens to student loan arrangements if you transfer to a different course/ university.


If you are thinking about transfering course (or university) speak to the Student Finance team about your financial options, plus your department, Academic Registry and Student Finance England as soon as possible. For information on how to transfer, see the article: 'Change of Status (Transferring, Suspending, Withdrawing) - what I need to know'. Keeping each fully informed throughout the process of transferring courses is vital.

If you started your studies before 1 September 2012 and at any point you withdraw from university then return to higher education, or if you transfer from a full-time course to a part-time course or vice-versa, you will be treated as a new student and will therefore be subject to higher fees and the new funding arrangements.

Student Finance England offer support for the length of your course, plus one additional year if required, minus any years of previous study. For example, if you have to repeat a year because you have transferred to a different course or university, then you can receive funding for that extra year of study. If you have to repeat another year however, it is likely you will have to self fund that period of study.

During any self-funded year, you will not be eligible for a tuition fee loan, or any maintenance/special support grant. You may still be eligible for a maintenance loan and University bursary, along with any extra dependants allowances you are normally entitled to.

Student Finance England have discretion to extend your funding if you have compelling personal reasons for repeating a period of study, for example, ill health. This discretion can be applied each time you are unable to complete a year due to your compelling personal reasons. Contact the Student Finance team (details below) if you need support with this.


Enter your email address to receive a notification when the article is updated
Email Address

Was this article helpful
Thank you for your feedback
How can we improve?