This article provides information on what happens to your student loan when suspending your studies.

You may have decided to temporarily suspend your studies for health or personal reasons. However, if you are considering suspending due to your financial situation, please contact the Student Finance team first (see details below). They may be able to offer practical support to ensure that you can complete your studies.

Student Finance England offer support for the length of your course, plus one additional year if required, minus any years of previous study. For example, if you have to repeat a year because you have interrupted your studies, then you can receive funding for that extra year of study. If you have to repeat another year however, it is likely you will have to self fund that period of study.

During any self-funded year, you will not be eligible for a tuition fee loan, or any maintenance/special support grant. You may still be eligible for a maintenance loan and University bursary, along with any extra dependants allowances you are normally entitled to.

Student Finance England have discretion to extend your funding if you have compelling personal reasons for repeating a period of study, for example ill health. This discretion can be applied each time you are unable to complete a year due to your compelling personal reasons.

If you do decide to suspend your studies, speak to us about your financial options, as well as your department, Academic Registry and Student Finance England as soon as possible. The article 'Change of Status (Transferring, Suspending, Withdrawing) - what I need to know' will inform you of the process. Keeping each fully informed throughout the process of suspending your course is vital.

The final decision about the financial support you could receive is made by Student Finance England. Depending on when you suspend, you may have to pay back some of the funding that you have already been given for the current academic year.

Please note, different rules apply if you are not from England or the EU. Visit the following websites for further information: 

For more information

For further information about the suspension process please contact Academic Registry:

Telephone: +44 (0)23 9284 5259


For further information or support applying for discretion due to compelling personal reasons please contact the Student Finance Centre

General Enquiries: +44 (0)23 9284 3014



Student Finance Centre

The Nuffield Centre - 2nd Floor

St. Michael's Road



Enter your email address to receive a notification when the article is updated
Email Address

Was this article helpful
Thank you for your feedback
How can we improve?