This article will provide important information on postgraduate loans.

Students from England or the EU (who have previously been funded by Student Finance England) are able to apply for a postgraduate loan to help with the costs of masters courses.

Please note, this excludes MArch, PGCE, Integrated Master’s, and students studying MSc Social Work who are in receipt of a social work bursary.

Student loans for Master's degrees are non means tested. Students starting a course in 2017 can borrow up to £10,280, and students starting in 2017 can borrow up to £10,280. You will be expected to pay your own fees, there is no separate loan for these. Loans are paid directly to you in termly instalments, over a maximum of two years.


In order to be eligible for a postgraduate loan you must be:

  • ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for three years on the first day of the first academic year of your course;
  • most recently resident in England; and
  • have not moved to England from elsewhere in the UK and Islands solely for the purpose of attending the course

You may also be eligible if you are an EU national, but loans are not available to students ordinarily resident in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

You must be aged under 60 on the first day of the first academic year of the course, and you must have started your course in the academic year 2016/17 or later (i.e. on or after 1 August 2016).

In order to qualify for a part-time Masters loan, you will need to be studying a course that is at least 50% of the duration of the equivalent full-time course. (i.e. at least 90 credits per year)


You repay your postgraduate loans based on your income once you have finished the course, but at a different rate to your undergraduate student loan. You still only have to repay once you are earning over £21,000 per year, but you will repay 6% of your income above this threshold. If you are also repaying an undergraduate student loan you will pay both of these together, (i.e. 15% of your income over £21,000 in total if you started your undergraduate course after 2012).

Further Information:

See the Government website for more information on postgraduate loans.  

For further information on eligibility, payment, change of circumstances and repayment please contact the Student Finance Centre.



Enter your email address to receive a notification when the article is updated
Email Address

Was this article helpful
Thank you for your feedback
How can we improve?