This article provides information regarding specific funding for disabled students.

Disabled Students’ Allowance

UK students are normally eligible to seek financial support from their funding authority to cover the costs of additional disability-related academic support associated with their studies. Additional support covers needs which occur as a consequence of your disability and not because you are a student.

If you have a disability or learning difficulty, you may be eligible for Disabled Student’s Allowance (DSA) to cover any additional costs that you incur whilst studying your course, as a result of your disability. DSA is provided in addition to any other funding and is non-income assessed. The support you get depends on your needs and not on your household income. The funding is not normally given to you directly and there is no requirement to pay it back.

Visit this website for more information.  

If you think you might be eligible we recommend that you speak to the Additional Support and Disability Advice Centre (ASDAC) for advice on establishing your needs and applying for funding.

Snowdon Trust

This charitable trust helps students with physical disabilities and who are in education aged between 17 and 25 years (mature students are supported when funds allow). Bursaries are made for one or two years and do not normally exceed £2000. Awards are made for disability-related costs where they cannot be met by other statutory sources such as the DSA or through the University.

The Snowdon Trust will not usually meet expenses that have to be borne by all students, such as tuition fees or standard living and accommodation costs.  However, it will occasionally help with tuition fees if a student can provide justification that their need is directly related to their disability.

Applications are accepted between February 1 to August 31 for funding for the academic year starting in September. Applications received by 31 May are reviewed by a panel in July. Later applications will go before a panel in October.

Visit this website for more information.  

The Student Health Association (Formerly BAHSHE)

The Association runs the Student Disability Assistance Fund which helps Higher Education students with disabilities in full-time or nearly full-time studies. The fund assists students to keep up with their course of study, training or research when this is seriously affected by the effects of illness, disease, injury or physical disability. It cannot help with fees or general living expenses. Any money given will be for a specific purpose related to disability. Grants are made towards extra travel costs for those with mobility problems, special equipment, computers, and books. Priority is given to those who cannot obtain statutory funding. Maximum awards are £500.

Visit this website for more information.

Enter your email address to receive a notification when the article is updated
Email Address

Was this article helpful
Thank you for your feedback
How can we improve?