This article explains who the halls student support managers are, what they do and how you can contact them.

How the Halls Student Support Managers (SSMs) can help

Student Support Managers (SSMs) are responsible for the day-to-day management of welfare and pastoral concerns of residents within all our halls of residence.

Freshers/ first years that are living in private sector accommodation, students living in Unite Halls or Catherine House can also get support from the SSMs at Guildhall Halls.

If the issue is to do with housing, please contact Student Housing.

SSMs provide welfare cover 24 hours a day, seven days a week for every week of your stay.

Students living in halls of residence can talk to their student support managers about any matter that is causing them concern; whether it is difficulties with their flatmates or concerns about whether or not they are studying the right course.

All discussions are kept confidential and issues will not be shared with any third parties, unless written consent is given by the student for a third party to become involved.

Contact times and details

Drop in for a chat in the evening (times available at your reception).

Book a session at your reception, where the SSM will aim to fit in with your availability.

If you are living in the private sector email: or telephone +44(0)23 9284 3873.

All conversations are completely confidential. The Student Support Manager will not act upon a matter unless you want them to. SSMs can also offer a mediation service between flatmates, for example helping to resolve a shared cleaning dispute and so on.

If the SSMs cannot help you with a specific issue, they will know someone within the University who will be able to help and can direct you to the appropriate support service.

Who the SSMs are

Guildhall Halls/ private accommodation first years:

Senior Student Support Manager 

Sara McGinn 

Telephone: +44(0)23 9284 3989 


Student Support Manager

Lisa Worton 

Telephone: +44(0)23 9284 3783 


Student Support Manager 

Tarek Fergani

Telephone: +44(0)23 92 84 3789



Rees Hall and Burrell House:

Student Support Manager

Rebecca Richards

Telephone: +44(0)23 9284 3924


Langstone Student Village:

Student Support Manager

Katherine Taylor

Telephone: +44(0)23 9284 4578


Residential Assistants

You can also speak to a Residential Assistant (RA). Residential Assistants are students who have experienced their first-year in halls so they have the knowledge and experience to help.

Residential Assistants have been trained to assist with all types of issues and they will be happy to help you.

RAs are fellow students who can always be relied upon to be a friendly port of call. Please ask your Hall reception how to contact your RA.

Enter your email address to receive a notification when the article is updated
Email Address

Was this article helpful
Thank you for your feedback
How can we improve?