This article contains information about Council Tax exemption.


How do I know if I am exempt from paying Council Tax?

If you are a full-time student and you ONLY live with other full-time students, then your house should be exempt from Council Tax.  The Council Tax exemption period begins on the official start date of your course and runs to the official end date.  

International and EU students should be aware that Orientation Week takes place before the official course start date and therefore Council Tax may be chargeable at this time. 

Please note, once you have ceased study and the official end date of the course has passed, you will be liable to pay Council Tax (e.g. for the 2018/2019 Academic Year, the end date for undergraduate students is the 21 June 2019: after this date Council Tax is payable).

Postgraduate Research Students (PGRS) who are in an approved extension registration period are not eligible for Council Tax exemption.

How do I let the Council know that I don’t have to pay Council Tax?

If you live within the PO1 – PO6 postcode area of Portsmouth, and are exempt from paying Council Tax, the University will automatically inform Portsmouth City Council that you are exempt. However if you are living in rented accommodation, your landlord may request confirmation that you are exempt, in which case you will need to obtain a Council Tax Exemption Certificate from the MyPort Information Hub.

If you live in a different postcode area of Portsmouth, or a different council area, then you will need to obtain a Council Tax Exemption Certificate from the MyPort Information Hub, and send this to your local council.

How do I get a Council Tax Exemption Certificate?

To request a Council Tax Exemption Certificate, you will need to contact the MyPort Information Hub using the following contact details:


Telephone: +44 (0)23 9284 4444

Alternatively you can visit the MyPort Information Hub at the following address:

MyPort Information Hub

Nuffield Centre

St. Michael's Road



You will need to provide us with your full name, student ID number, whether you want the certificate emailed to you or printed out. If you want it printed out, you can collect it from the MyPort Information Hub, but you must bring your Student Card with you as identification.


Enter your email address to receive a notification when the article is updated
Email Address

Was this article helpful
Thank you for your feedback
How can we improve?