This article will explain the payment for damages at halls of residence.

The University will pass on costs to the resident(s) if items in halls of residence have been damaged by resident(s) and have to be repaired or replaced.

The charges may include the cost of disposal, delivery, administration, and other associated costs of remedying the damage. Charges are made at a commercial rate. Any damage charges will be debited from your damage deposit balance.

The basis of charging is that there should be no adverse financial consequences for the University in repairing damage caused by a student, and that the University will not make a profit out of repair charges.

Students who damage halls of residence property will be informed by email about any charges made by the Halls Management team.

You will get 10 working days to dispute any charges after which the amount confirmed as debited.

Damage disputes/ disagreements

If you have received a charge for damage or additional charges in your flat or room and do not agree with the charge or do not believe you are responsible for it, you are entitled to view the evidence and make a case in writing to the Accommodation Services Manager to appeal the damage cost.

There are two stages to this procedure:

Stage 1- Informal query- made at your Hall Reception, the charge will be explained and you will be shown the evidence used to support the charge.

Stage 2 - Formal dispute if you still disagree with the charge after viewing the evidence at Stage 1. Using the online form which can be downloaded below.

Please print and complete the Damage dispute procedure for student charges.

Please note: Stage 2 will only be accepted following evidence that you have taken Stage 1.

The form is designed for you to log a dispute with the Hall Manager, who will suspend the payment time frame from the date he/she receives this proforma until the outcome is decided.

Once submitted, further or additional arguments will not be considered.

To lodge your dispute you must email the form to the Accommodation Services Manager, email address can be obtained via reception (if you receive information that the Accommodation Services Manager will be away and will not pick up your email for some extended time, please resend it to
or further details on the charge dispute procedure please ask at the hall reception.

Third party halls (Unite, Catherine House)

If you are in these halls please refer to the relevant halls websites for information on damages and additional charges.

Enter your email address to receive a notification when the article is updated
Email Address

Was this article helpful
Thank you for your feedback
How can we improve?