This information is for students who will be applying to extend their Tier 4 visa.

When to extend your visa 

You need to submit a visa application before the expiry date of your current visa. You can apply to extend your visa up to three months before the expiry of your current visa.

Study Cap

There is a time limit (also known as 'study cap') on how long you can study with a Tier 4 visa. Before a CAS can be issued to you the University will check that your studies will not take you over the cap. We may need to contact UKVI to undertake an Immigration History Check, with your permission, to check that you have enough time left to complete your course.

In most cases, this limit is five years 11 months if you have studied a 3 year Undergraduate course, or six years 11 months if you have studied a 4 year Undergraduate course (not including any re-sit years). 

When making the calculation for the Study Cap the whole duration of your visa is counted, this includes extra periods of time added to your visa before and after your course.


How to extend your visa

1. Register and create an account online

  • If you are applying from inside the UK, please follow this link and click on 'Apply Online'.
  • If you are applying from outside the UK, please follow these links for Tier 4 (General) and Tier 4 (Dependent) or contact the International Student Advisers for further information. On the application form, enter the Alternative Collection Location (ACL code) 2HE479 on both of your application forms so you can collect your BRPs at the University.

2. Request your CAS statement

You must request your CAS statement before you can apply to extend your visa. The University will only issue you a CAS statement if you are applying for visa extension on or before the expiry date of your current student visa. If your visa has expired, you will not be issued a CAS until you show evidence that you have left the UK (e.g a flight ticket). You will have to apply for entry clearance from your home country.

Click here to request your CAS statement.

Please note: your CAS will not be released until your bank statements are checked by the International Student Advisers 

3. Prepare your supporting documents

Financial evidence:

You must show a maintenance of £1015 per month of your course up to a maximum of nine months (e.g if your course lasts two months, you need to show £1015 x 2 or if your course lasts nine months or more or you will have to show a maximum £9135).  You also need to show any unpaid tuition fees for your course.

Note that UKVI look at the date of the latest banking transaction to determine that the bank statement is no older than one month old rather than the date that the statement is printed. 

The full amount MUST be in your bank account for 28 consecutive days. Your bank statement must be no older than one month.

Please note that applicants for Tier 4 (Doctorate Extension Scheme) are exempt from this rule and need to show £2030 for 28 days.

If you are unsure of the official end date of your course, please contact Department of Student and Academic Administration at:

You may use your parents’ bank account to demonstrate your maintenance and fees. The statement must be in English or officially translated but the funds can be in the local currency. If you use your parents’ bank statement to prove your maintenance and fees, you must also provide your original birth certificate and a letter from your parents, signed and dated, confirming they are sponsoring you.

If you are a sponsored student, (sponsored by your Government or an official recognised company) you must provide an up-to-date official sponsorship letter as evidence of your funds.

Other documents:

  • Your current passport and any previous passports which you have used to travel to the UK
  • BRP visa card (if you have one)
  • Police registration certificate (if applicable)
  • ATAS Certificate (if stated on your CAS that you need one)
  • Your qualifications/transcripts (if stated on your CAS)
  • All supporting documents MUST be original.

4. Fill in the online form

Fill in the online form as much as you can, but stop at the declaration page.

If you go any further, you will not be able to make any amendments to your application. Bring all your supporting documents to the Global Office, as well as your login details, and the International Student Advisers will check your application before sending it.

Applications are dealt with weekdays from 10.00am to 3.00pm.

Cost of visa application:

  • The standard fee for applying is currently £475
  • The Immigration Health Charge (IHS) of £300 per year of your course
  • What happens next?

You submit your application online, pay the immigration health surcharge fee, biometric enrolment fee (currently £19.20) and the application fee.

You will then be directed to Sopra Steria's website to book an appointment either at a UKVCAS service centre or at an ‘enhanced service centre’. 

Attendance at a UKVCAS service centre will be free of charge, the nearest centre is Croydon.

If you attend an ‘enhanced service’ centre there will be an additional charge. The nearest enhanced service centre is in Southampton. The additional charge to attend the enhanced service centre is between £60 to £125 (this depends on whether you select a prime time/non-prime time slot or a weekend appointment). 

You can scan and upload your documents before your appointment. We recommend you also take all your original documents to your appointment. 

If you choose to scan your documents at your appointment there will be a charge.

You will receive a decision on your application by email. If you apply using the premium service, you should receive a decision on the day of your appointment and your visa will usually be posted to you in ten working days.

IMPORTANT: Please note that you cannot travel outside the UK while your visa extension application is under consideration and you have received your BRP card. 

If you do leave the UK during this time then your visa application will be automatically cancelled.

Once you have received your new BRP, you must send your old BRP card to the Home Office to be destroyed. Post it in a plain, windowless envelope with a covering letter listing your details, including BRP number and reason for return. If you applied in the UK, return to Freepost RRYX-GLYU-GXHZ, Returns Unit, PO Box 163, Bristol, BS20 1AB. If you applied overseas: BRP Returns, Home Office, Conference House, Conference Avenue, Portishead Office Park, Portishead, Bristol, BS20 7LZ, UK


Resits and Repeats

  • Are you applying for a visa extension to undertake a resit period or repeat year?

You can apply for a visa extension in the UK. Please follow guidance from Step 1 on this page.

  • Are you applying for a visa extension before the second attempt of your resit with valid leave to cover this period?

The UKVI Student Compliance Team will be unable to issue to you a CAS to progress with your course until the results of your second attempt resit.

If your visa period does not cover the second attempt resit, you will need to apply for further leave to undertake the resit.

Work Placement/Study Abroad

You must extend your current Tier 4 General visa prior to undertaking the work placement or Study Abroad year. You can extend your visa from in the UK or from your home country no earlier than 3 months before your work placement/Study Abroad year commences. 

Please note: If you have changed courses, you will need to return home to apply for your visa, extensions can only be made in the UK if you are continuing on the same course.


Enter your email address to receive a notification when the article is updated
Email Address

Was this article helpful
Thank you for your feedback
How can we improve?