This article will provide information on registering with the police if you are an international student.

Who needs to register

See this article which explains who needs to register with police on arrival in the UK.

Where to register with police

During September and October, Hampshire Police will be registering students on campus.

To book your place please follow this link: Foreign Nationals -Thames Valley Police.

Please select the Registration appointment:

  • Hampshire Student Registration – University of Portsmouth 1, Nuffield Centre


  • Hampshire Student Registration – University of Portsmouth 2, Nuffield Centre

At any other time, you will need to go to the Police Headquarters in Winchester.

The address for the Police Headquarters is:

The Nationalities Office, Hampshire Constabulary, Tower Street, Winchester, Hampshire, SO23 8ZD

You will need to book using this link: Foreign Nationals -Thames Valley Police

  • Select: Hampshire Registration – Winchester Nationalities Office

If you need help booking your appointment at the Police Headquarters, please speak to the International Student Advisers.

What to bring to your police registration appointment

At your appointment, you will need to bring:

  • £34 (we encourage you to pay with a credit or bank card)
  • Your passport and visa (BRP Card)
  • Home Office decision letter - this is sent to you by e-mail (please check your spam)
  • Proof of your address (housing contract)
  • Proof of Study - Your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) statement.

Changing your personal details with the police

If you make any of the following changes, you must update your Police Registration Certificate:

  • Change of address
  • Change of marital status
  • Change or extension of visa
  • New passport
  • New course or change of university
  • Change of nationality
  • Change of employment, business, profession, or occupation.

You will need to go to the police station in Hilsea at Merlin ParkAirport Service Road, Portsmouth, PO3 5GE  with your Police Registration Certificate for updating.

Please book here: Foreign Nationals -Thames Valley Police

If you fail to keep your police registration certificate up to date, you will be issued with a warning.

If you have been out of the UK for 12 months or longer, you will be required to obtain a new Police Registration Certificate on arrival in the UK.



Enter your email address to receive a notification when the article is updated
Email Address

Was this article helpful
Thank you for your feedback
How can we improve?