This article will provide information on registering with
the police if you are an international student.
Who needs to register
article which explains who needs to register with police on arrival in
Where to register with police
During September and October, Hampshire Police will be
registering students on campus.
To book your place please follow this link: Foreign Nationals -Thames Valley Police.
Please select the Registration appointment:
- Hampshire Student Registration – University of Portsmouth 1, Nuffield Centre
- Hampshire Student Registration – University of Portsmouth 2, Nuffield Centre
At any other time, you will need to go to the Police
Headquarters in Winchester.
The address for the Police Headquarters is:
The Nationalities Office, Hampshire Constabulary, Tower
Street, Winchester, Hampshire, SO23 8ZD
You will need to book using this link: Foreign Nationals -Thames Valley Police
- Select: Hampshire Registration – Winchester Nationalities Office
If you need help booking your appointment at the Police
Headquarters, please speak to the International
What to bring to your police registration appointment
At your appointment, you will need to bring:
- £34 (we encourage you to pay with a credit or bank card)
- Your passport and visa (BRP Card)
- Home Office decision letter - this is sent to you by e-mail (please check your spam)
- Proof of your address (housing contract)
- Proof of Study - Your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies
Changing your personal details with the police
If you make any of the following changes, you must update
your Police Registration Certificate:
- Change of address
- Change of marital status
- Change or extension of visa
- New passport
- New course or change of university
- Change of nationality
- Change of employment, business, profession, or occupation.
You will need to go to the police station in Hilsea at Merlin Park, Airport Service Road, Portsmouth, PO3 5GE with your Police Registration Certificate for updating.
Please book here: Foreign Nationals -Thames Valley Police
If you fail to keep your police registration certificate up to date, you will be issued with a warning.
If you have been out of the UK for 12 months or longer, you will be required to obtain a new Police Registration Certificate on arrival in the UK.